Thursday, January 7, 2016

A park with a heart

By Virginia Winder

The fountain lake at Pukekura Park
Nature nurtures the soul.

Had a low day today, what I call a lost day, mainly spent in bed listening to audio books, sleeping and trying to meditate.

What helped me greatly was going to Pukekura Park with a mate for the Festival of the Lights.

We went early to hear a young man called Ben Dixon, from Hawera. He is highly talented and his own songs were uplifting.

But so was the New Plymouth park, which I’ve always thought of as the beating heart of our community.

I sat there, head tilted back, looking at the soaring trees and watching the patterns of the clouds. I imagined the people who chose to create this park back in the late 1800s and how they planted many of the trees.

Also, I wondered what they would think of the festival, the music playing and the children dancing in front of the stage.

Look what they created for us. What a legacy.

Wherever you are, there will be such a place. It could be a reserve, a beach, a trail by a river or lake, a national park or a coastal walkway.

We have all of the above, but in summer Pukekura Park is the hands-down winner, especially in the heat of the day.

On Wednesday, I walked through the park with my childhood friend Glenys at midday. It was cool under the trees by the lakes and we talked our way through our wanderings, which will get faster. We are committed to a weekly stride out in this place of great beauty.

Tonight, being in the park was just what I needed. I was able to look beyond myself, focus on my friend, eat healthy food and feel embraced by a park, which has been cared for by so many people, including a beloved niece.

So, after a lost day, Pukekura Park nurtured my soul. I feel whole again.

5 comments:

  1. It is a great legacy that is true. A beautiful place to be in the middle of our city.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loving your writing,Virginia,Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love how you call Pukekura Park the beating heart. So true :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really enjoying reading your blog spot VW

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete