Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Tattooed by You


By Virginia Winder
This tattoo, inspired by a Dr Who quote, isn't etched on me yet.... 

When photographer Peter Peryer died, I felt like one of the constants in my life was gone. I saw him nearly every week at Ozone or about town. He had touched my heart a dozen years ago and stayed there. But he's one of a thousand people - probably way more - now part of my inner landscape. Men, women, dead, alive... you're all there. This poem entered my head at Peter's funeral, but poured out this evening.

Tattooed by You

I’ve fallen in love with dead men
Celebrated women of guts and grace
Absorbed the lives of the living
For more than three decades
I’ve stood in your shoes
Slipped into your souls
Looked through your eyes
And seen the world your way
I’ve let you all in, barriers down
Soaked in the essence of you
And you and you and you
Until I’m forever changed
By every single person
I’ve pinned down in shorthand
Arranged with coloured felt pens
And then poured out
Through racing fingers
On to a white screen
Calibri font, size 11
Printed in Times New Roman
Well mostly.
I’ve slept with others
Yes – this much is true
Those recorded over the phone
Have been taken to bed
One earplug retelling your tale
In the dark of the night
The dog snuggled by my feet
Gentle snoring at my back
Then you’ve been released
At first light
By a woman in a red dressing gown
Who has hung on your every word
Delighted at each anecdote
Felt every pang of pain
And so, your tales
Are now part of me
Still yours, always
But every single story
Is written inside my mind
I’m tattooed forever
With the shape of your lives.





3 comments:

  1. I think this poem is wonderful!!! I've never really been a writer, athough did try a bit of blank verse years ago while travelling. Your chosen words really make a great story! Thanks for sharing.


    ReplyDelete
  2. How beautiful are the listening spaces

    ReplyDelete